Saturday, December 4, 2010

Proverbs 5

 7 Now then, my sons, listen to me; 
   do not turn aside from what I say. 
8 Keep to a path far from her, 
   do not go near the door of her house, 


Today's passage has an obvious bend on adultery, and while there is much there to be dissected, I liked this verse because it's the charge that hits at the heart of the matter. Don't even go near it. Don't go near things that put your mind in that frame. Stay as far away from sexual immorality as you possibly can. This is a good reminder that the question shouldn't be "how far can I go and stay close to God?," but rather, "what can I do to intentionally draw closer to God."

1 comment:

  1. I think it should be noted as well that the passage goes on to say, "May your fountain be blessed,and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth" (v. 18). The reason that this is important is because in marriage God gives us exactly what we need to be satisfied, which is promised in the next verse, saying, "may her breasts satisfy you always,may you ever be intoxicated with her love" (v.19), and because of that, committing adultery is saying that God is not capable of satisfying our needs.

    ReplyDelete