Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Swimming Upstream

Today I saw something that really bothered me and it opened my eyes to a bigger question. How can God use social networking to reach the lost?

Today as I was surfing on facebook I saw a friend had posted a video with some comment about the wisdom contained therein. Now the content of the video was bothersome enough to me (at least certain aspects) but what followed was a stream of comments in support of the video and, as soon as one person offered her point of view, another stream of comments blasting this critic and her Christian beliefs to pieces.

The fact that this person used to have such an extreme faith and this is now the focus of their heart shook me. The comments about God such as "IF God is ______ then count me out," bothered me because of a lack of investigation as to who God really is and what he is like. But that wasn't what really gave me pause. What struck me is how the internet has become such a divisive arena, a playground where teams are being chosen for kickball and everyone wants to be on the winning team. I am noticing that facebook, twitter, etc. are becoming places where everyone is in agreement with everyone else. The courage that being behind a keyboard gives people is our first weapon against anyone that disagrees and now, several years into the social media movement, I find that comment streams are almost always unanimously self-agreeable. Those that choose to offer up an opinion will quickly be chastised for doing so.

I could go into the way this flies in the face of the "tolerance" that our world claims to have. But I won't go there today, either.

I saw this and I was strongly tempted, even though someone had already blazed this trail, to offer my two cents, to share how my heart breaks when I see people fuel the fire of public opinion, while fewer and fewer know anything about Scripture's actual content. I could have taken any number of approaches in debunking the myths that I saw out there. Only to fall on deaf ears. I feel a bit like Solomon even as I write this. "Meaningless. All is meaningless." If this post only falls on the ears of those that agree with me and we seclude ourselves in our Christian bubble, then this post has been a failure. We've missed the point of what God has called us to do.

The real question is this: in what ways can the Christians in this world still be effective in using facebook, twitter, blogs, etc. to reach out and create disciples? How can we show the world (if not through comments in already-hostile threads) that the message Christ preached is one of freedom (Gal 5:1), love (1 cor 13), purpose (Matt 22:37-40) and relationship with our creator (Gen 2)? How can we allow ourselves to be used as Christ's body to impact his Kingdom? The answers to these questions continue to elude me everytime I boot up my computer.

In the end, I didn't post anything. But that person has been on my mind ever since. The thought that they have known Christ and left, pushing some non-Biblical theology that has a distant resemblance to God's character (much like the folks John wrote about in his letters) makes me shutter. The idea that this person has gone so far from what is true and is now rallying troops to go with her breaks my heart. This friend has been on my heart the entire day and I have been in prayer for a heart-change since seeing this. I pray for discernment in what to say if the opportunity arises. I pray that I know what a real opportunity looks like. I pray that God will give me the guts to say it when and if I do recognize that moment. I don't know what else to do but pray. I feel as if we are swimming upstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment